Sunday, September 12, 2010

    How Not To Promote Your Social Media Presence...

    So I was with some of my family today and we wandered into a favorite bakery/restaurant in town to get a sandwich (I had a yummy hummus, roasted red pepper, avocado, cucumber & sprout treat on a salt bagel, in case you were wondering). While sitting and eating I noticed this sign:


    Not the best, but certainly not the worst sign ever. It does still use the old Facebook language of "become a fan," instead of "Please like us!" But I don't really mind, because I still like fan better. Yes, some cynics may say "Oh, you're so far behind the times! It's like not fan!" but oh well. The sign also gives the Twitter handle (hidden so that my next sandwich doesn't include undesirable ingredients not listed above) and even pokes a bit of fun at any and everything being on Facebook & Twitter: "We couldn't resist..."

    That being said, what caught my eye was the sign's location:


    Unless the clientèle of this eatery are much more likely than average customers to drop creamers and sweetener packets on the ground, I do not think this is the best target-marketing of the year.

    Just a reminder that social media is not an "If you build it, they will come," endeavor. Be smart and promote your efforts. ...Preferably where people can see the promotions!

    Related posts, by topic:



    No comments:

    Post a Comment