Friday, October 1, 2010

    USA Today wants me to what?



    There's benefit to using channels such as Twitter and Facebook to promote content across other channels - sharing a Facebook campaign on Twitter, tweeting about a blog posting, etc.

    But when your goal is engagement, I suggest you don't follow @USAToday's
    example above. I'm a fan of USA Today and I appreciate the kind things the publication has said about my blog, but the tweet above is an engagement failure.

    Suppose you are reading that tweet... USA Today is asking you to leave Twitter, send an email, so you can participate in a Facebook chat. Huh? Could I have a few more hoops to jump through please? ;) I don't mind the promotion of the Facebook chat, but why not ask for questions directly on Twitter?

    I would suggest something like:

    #NCAA football fans: Tweet your questions for a Facebook chat Monday at 12 p.m ET. Use the #ncaachat hashtag so @Erick_Smith can respond!

    USA Today does a decent job promoting this on Facebook, as you would expect.


    I hope this is a good reminder for all non-profits to make it as easy as possible for people to engage with your organization.

    Related posts, by topic:



    No comments:

    Post a Comment