Saturday, August 14, 2010

    Typographical Sins

    There's something about publishing a post on typographical sins that is a bit intimidating, particularly when doing so at three in the morning, halfway through a fifteen hour roadtrip. And being composed (HTML and all) on an iPhone. But I love y'all so much, so here goes...

    I'm 99% sure I'll find errors when I revisit this post later today ;-)

    I bring you this list of considerations for your appeals & case-building materials. All I ask you to do? Read this and write appeals as if Jim Godfrey were one of your most promising donor prospects.

    The following is an excerpt from the
    For Print Only blog. Poster by designer Jim Godfrey
    Jim Godfrey is a typography teacher. Jim Godfrey is often irritated by the typographic sins of students who join his class semester after semester. Jim Godfrey decided to do something about it and, after consulting with his colleague Patrick Wilkey, a list of 34 unprofessional ways to set type was drafted. It took three years from beginning to the final letterpressed poster run of 38--not enough paper to account for print ready made this first impression a short one. A second one will likely happen when all existing copies are sold.
    The poster:


    Related posts, by topic:



    3 comments:

    srmsoft7 said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    salma hayek said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    indie schoolgirl said...

    So well put... although I did have to squint a little to read it! This covers about 95% of the things I end up editing when I review a document for someone else at my institution. Although some people also have a talent for jacking up a MS Word document so much that it becomes literally impossible to edit. So those people deserve special recognition in my book )

    Post a Comment